If you want to add an Admin panel to your rails application, it's just matter of minutes.
- Open gem file and writer gem 'rails_admin', '~> 1.0'
- bundle install
- rails g rails_admin:install
- it will ask you about the admin route if you want to go with the default press Enter.
- Now go app/config/initializers/rails_admin.rb and paste this code: config.authorize_with do
redirect_to main_app.root_path unless current_user.try(:admin?)
This code will allow only admin user to access the yoursite.com/admin other users will be redirected to the rootpath.
- For more details checkout the documentation of this gem. https://github.com/sferik/rails_admin/wiki
Use it if you want to have Admin to your website otherwise there is no need for this. It is more easy and powerful than active_admin gem. You can add this at any stage after creating users and don't forget to make any user admin before the 4th step. Use cancan for granting roles.
So here are few screen shots from the admin panel using rails_admin gem.
As you can see the layout of this gem is very catching and user friendly.